Gardens and garden sheds
Maintaining your garden and any garden sheds is part of your tenancy. You need our permission to get a shed or other outbuilding.
Maintaining your garden
Maintaining your garden includes:
- cutting grass, hedges and shrubs
- pruning trees
- keeping your garden free from any rubbish
- repairing your washing line or rotary dryer
- putting garden waste in your brown bin
- keeping your shed in a good condition
Sunderland City Council offer a garden waste collection that costs £33 a year. Find out more about Sunderland City Council’s garden waste collection.
Getting help to maintain your garden
Some people may need help to maintain their garden. We offer a gardening service from May to October for tenants who:
- we assess as having a vulnerability
- have no family or friends to help them with their garden
Each visit costs £20 and we tidy your garden, weed and cut your grass.
We may decide to charge you more than £20 or not maintain your garden if it is:
- too large
- overgrown with trees, hedges and shrubs
- full of rubbish or debris
If you want help to maintain your garden, call 0191 525 5000 and select option 4.
Changes to your garden
You need our permission for a shed or outbuilding in your garden.
To ask for permission to change your garden, call 0191 525 5000 and select option 4.
We never give permission for:
- hot tubs
- lights that connect to the main power