Gentoo Group Ltd run www.gentoogroup.com and designed it so as many people as possible could use it. We are always working to make our website as accessible and usable as possible.
This statement is for content published on www.gentoogroup.com
It is not for content on any other Gentoo websites or online services, like:
- My Gentoo
- Your Gentoo Voice
- Mutual Exchange
- tenancy documents
- online payments system
- home contents insurance online application form
- recruitment portal
How accessible this website is
You should be able to:
- find and understand content
- zoom in up to 400%
- without having to scroll from left to right
- navigate the website using a keyboard and speech recognition software
- access the website's content using a screen reader
We know some parts of this website are not accessible. For example, we know there are:
- documents and policies not written in clear English
- documents and policies in PDF format and are not accessible
- hint text and error messages not programmatically associated with form controls and labels, which affects people who use a screen reader
Getting information on this website in a different format
- email communications@
- call 0191 525 5000
- write to Communications Team, Gentoo, Emperor House, 2 Emperor Way, Doxford International Business Park, Sunderland, SR3 3XR
Tell us what format you need the information in. This could be:
- another language
- an accessible PDF
- large print
- easy read
- audio recording
Reporting accessibility problems with this website
If you find any problems not listed on this page or think we are not meeting accessibility requirements, you can:
- email communications@
- call 0191 525 5000
- write to Communications Team, Gentoo, Emperor House, 2 Emperor Way, Doxford International Business Park, Sunderland, SR3 3X
The Equality and Human Rights Commission enforces the accessibility regulations.
Visiting us in person
For people with hearing aids, our offices have audio induction loops.
For people who use British Sign Language, we can arrange for an interpreter.
Technical information about this website's accessibility
Gentoo is committed to making its website accessible. We follow the Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications) (No. 2) Accessibility Regulations 2018.
This website is partially compliant with the AA level of the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines version 2.1.
Content that is not accessible and does not follow the accessibility regulations
There are some images that do not have alternative text. This fails guideline '1.1.1 Non-text context'.
We are finding and updating images, so they have suitable alternative text or alt="" and screen readers ignore them.
Form hint text and error messages
Hint text and error messages are not programmatically associated with form controls and labels. This affects people who use a screen reader because they may not get all information they need. This depends on how they navigate a form.
This fails guidelines '1.3.1 Info and relationships', '3.3.2 Labels or instructions' and '4.1.3 Status messages'.
We use a plugin to create our forms, and this is how the plugin works.
Non-text colour contrast
The border around form fields on Shared Ownership pages and other decorative elements does not meet the 3 to 1 contrast ratio for non-text content. This fails guideline '1.4.11 Non-text contrast'.
This is because of Shared Ownership branding.
There are non-accessible PDFs published since 23 September 2018.
We are reviewing how we publish our documents. We will make sure they are accessible, or they have an accessible alternative format.
We have invalid HTML that may affect how the website works for some users. This includes duplicate IDs, and incorrect 'for' attributes on form fields.
This fails guidelines '1.3.1 Info and relationships' and '4.1.2 Name, role, value'.
We are finding and updating IDs so they are unique and changing incorrect 'for' attributes so they are correct.
We do not claim any of our accessibility issues would be disproportionate to fix.
Content that the accessibility regulations do not cover
Non-HTML documents published before September 2018
These documents do not need to be accessible unless people need them to use a service.
The non-HTML documents are PDFs and are either:
- annual documents like reports and financial statements
- governance documents
Where possible, any new documents will have HTML versions or be accessible PDFs or Word documents.
How we test this website
We use the A and AA levels of the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines version 2.1 to test how accessible this website is.
- the homepage
- a landing page, like 'Rent'
- a content page, like 'Rent a garage or car parking space'
- the news page
- 3 or 4 news articles
- the contact page
- an online form, like 'Report tenancy fraud'
- a content page with an embedded form, like 'Media enquiries'
- a content page with the 'Leave website' feature, like 'Antisocial behaviour'
- the Shared Ownership homepage
- a Shared Ownership content page, like 'Shared Ownership eligibility'
- the Buying a Shared Ownership home page
- a Shared Ownership development page, like 'Crosstree Park'
- a Shared Ownership plot page, like 'The Helm at Wellspring Park'
We last tested the website on Friday 30 June 2023.
What we are doing to improve accessibility
We regularly review and test our code, content and tools to make sure they are as accessible as possible.
Preparing this accessibility statement
This statement was prepared on 1 February 2016. It was last reviewed on 12 October 2022.