We check all electrical wiring before you move into your home. We will test the electrical installation in your home every 5 years to make sure it is safe.
Keeping the electrics in your home safe
It is your responsibility to make sure your own electrical devices and appliances are safe.
Call 0191 525 5000 if:
- your plug sockets are not working
- your electricity is not working
- you have any issues or concerns with any of the electrics in your home
Electrical safety check
We have a legal responsibility to test the electrical installation in your home every 5 years.
If you stop us from completing your check, you may lose the right to use our repairs service.
Electrical safety check appointment
We will send you a letter with the date for your electrical safety check appointment. There must be someone aged 18 or over at your home for this appointment. The test can take 4 hours to complete.
You must make sure we can access all electrical equipment during the appointment.
- switch off all electrical equipment before the test
- switch off your electricity for most of the test
- need access to all electrical equipment, including the fuse board, switches and sockets
- test electrical wiring, plug sockets and lights
Rearranging your electrical safety check
You cannot cancel your electrical safety check, but you can rearrange it. If you think a safety check is overdue or need to rearrange it, call us at once on 0191 525 5000.
After your electrical safety check
We, or our contractor Morgan Lambert, may contact you to arrange an appointment to inspect the work completed during your safety check. This appointment is not legally required, but we appreciate everyone who is able to give us access to their home.