Carbon monoxide

Carbon monoxide is a poisonous gas you cannot see, taste or smell. To help keep you safe, we check your gas meter and gas pipework once a year.

If you think there is carbon monoxide in your home

Call us at once on 0191 525 5000.

We will ask you to turn off your gas supply. This is usually a handle under your boiler, but we will guide you through it if you are not sure.

We will tell Northern Gas Networks who will visit your home within 2 hours.

Checks to see if carbon monoxide is in your home

Check to see if:

  • gas flames burn orange and yellow instead of blue
  • there are soot stains on or near appliances
  • it is difficult to light your fire
  • you have a blocked chimney
  • your boiler’s pilot light keeps blowing out
  • there is more condensation than usual in your home

There are physical signs of carbon monoxide that are like other illnesses. These are:

  • being out of breath
  • chest and stomach pains
  • feeling tired and weak
  • headaches
  • sickness
  • sight problems

How carbon monoxide can get in your home

Carbon monoxide can get into your home through a:

  • blocked chimney
  • incorrectly installed fuel appliance
  • fuel appliance that is in a poor condition