Carbon monoxide is a poisonous gas you cannot see, taste or smell. To help keep you safe, we check your gas meter and gas pipework once a year.
If you think there is carbon monoxide in your home
Call us at once on 0191 525 5000.
We will ask you to turn off your gas supply. This is usually a handle under your boiler, but we will guide you through it if you are not sure.
We will tell Northern Gas Networks who will visit your home within 2 hours.
Checks to see if carbon monoxide is in your home
Check to see if:
- gas flames burn orange and yellow instead of blue
- there are soot stains on or near appliances
- it is difficult to light your fire
- you have a blocked chimney
- your boiler’s pilot light keeps blowing out
- there is more condensation than usual in your home
There are physical signs of carbon monoxide that are like other illnesses. These are:
- being out of breath
- chest and stomach pains
- feeling tired and weak
- sight problems
How carbon monoxide can get in your home
Carbon monoxide can get into your home through a:
- blocked chimney
- incorrectly installed fuel appliance
- fuel appliance that is in a poor condition