Water leaks, blocked pipes and drains

Water leaks and blocked drains can cause a lot of damage to your home and may affect your neighbours’ homes too.

Water leaks

To help prevent a leak:

  • use a qualified tradesperson to install pipework for washing machines, dishwashers and tumble driers
  • find out where your stop tap is and how to turn it off

We will tell you where your stop tap is when you move into your home. It is usually under the kitchen sink.

If you live in sheltered housing, your Scheme Manager will let you know where your stop tap is.

Blocked pipes and drains

To help keep pipes and drains clear:

  • only flush toilet paper down the toilet
  • put sanitary products, nappies, incontinence pads and bandages in the bin
  • put grease, cooking fat and oil in the bin, not the sink
  • clean plugs, plugholes and drain holes regularly but avoid using acid-based cleaning products

Blocked and broken drains are one of the major causes of pest problems. Find out more about pest control.

Reporting a water leak, blocked pipe or drain

If a public sewer is blocked, call Northumbrian Water on 0345 717 1100.

Emergency repairs include:

  • blocked toilets and it is the only one in your home
  • water leaks you cannot stop
  • blocked waste pipes and drains

Call 0191 525 5000 and select option 2 to report an emergency repair, 24 hours a day.

Other repairs include:

  • leaking taps and pipes
  • a loose toilet
  • a blocked or broken gully

A gully is outside and has a grating or grid to stop leaves, litter and larger objects from getting into the sewer.

To report these kind of repairs:

Mondays and Tuesdays are the days when we get the most calls about repairs. This means call waiting times are less on Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays.