Damp happens when water comes in from the outside or there’s a lot of condensation. Damp can damage your home and cause wet patches on the walls and ceilings.
Damp is most common in homes that are cold, not well ventilated, or have structural damage. A property can have damp because of:
Condensation is the most common cause of damp.
Condensation happens when moist air inside a home touches a cold surface. Moisture can get in the air when you:
Keeping your home warm will help reduce the risk of condensation. A heated home makes it harder for condensation to form because the surfaces are warm. The best way to heat your home is to have a consistent warm temperature.
Ventilating your home will help reduce condensation by making the moist air escape outside.
Keep a window open or turn your extractor fan on when you are cooking or bathing.
If you are drying clothes in a tumble dryer or on the radiator, keep a window open or turn the extractor fan on.
Large furniture such as wardrobes and cupboards should be placed against an internal wall. Furniture placed against a radiator can trap the air, which can lead to condensation and mould growth.
Leaving cupboard and wardrobe doors open for a short time will help circulate the air.
Water vapour in the loft space can be the cause of damp. Keeping the loft hatch closed when you don’t need access to the loft will help prevent this.
If you think you have damp in your home:
We will arrange a damp inspection in your home. During the inspection, we will:
We may also take photographs and samples of any issues we find.
Damp can sometimes cause mould which needs to be removed to keep your home safe.
Wiping the windows and windowsills regularly will reduce mould.
Mould growth can be removed by wiping down the area with a ‘fungicidal wash’. This is available from supermarkets and DIY shops.
Bleach should not be used to clean walls or ceilings with mould. This can be hazardous and may encourage mould to grow in the future.
Using fungicidal paint to redecorate can help prevent mould from growing back. Once mould has been removed, keep your home ventilated.