Asbestos

Asbestos is a mineral and its fibres are strong and do not burn. Because of this, asbestos was used in a wide range of building materials up to the 1980s to insulate homes and protect against fires.
When materials which contain asbestos are damaged or disturbed, they can release fibres into the air. If you breathe in enough of these fibres, they can stay in your lungs for a long time and cause damage such as lung disease and cancer.

Asbestos is a dangerous material, but if the material which contains asbestos is in good condition and in a position where it will not be disturbed, there are no risks.

You may find asbestos in the following:

  • Cement products, such as roofing, wall cladding and fascia boards. 
  • Insulating boards, such as insulation on heating cupboard doors. 
  • Textured coatings, including Artex on walls and ceilings. 
  • Things which are made of more than one material, including fuse cupboards and fibre gaskets to gas fires. 
  • Vinyl floor coverings including some plastic floor tiles and linoleum. 

Loft and cavity-wall insulation does not contain asbestos.

If we find asbestos in your home or if we think material in your home may contain asbestos, we will inspect the material, take samples, and analyse it. As stated, if the material which contains asbestos is in good
condition and in a position where it will not be disturbed, there are no risks. 

Please get permission from your local housing office before you carry out work which includes drilling a hole, hanging a picture, removing any materials/floor coverings not installed by yourselves, sanding,
scraping or plastering a textured wall or ceiling.